Texts of all sorts, written in sentences. Mostly not long.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

An account of splendor

I have been looking forward to this night with a slight anticipation that something grand would come about. I had never actually gone to the Mustard Seed and could only imagine what I would experience in my foray of made up knowledge. I arrived with my friend Scott in typical awesome fashion and began moving food to a house where we would serve. In my expeditions across the yard to the house I felt particularly vulnerable. My arms were full of food and if someone were to jump me I would be delayed in grabbing my M-21 Special Forces folding knife. Your mind seems to go this way when you are around a bunch of homeless people. I continued my duties as well as embellishing the idea that I was on a covert mission, secretly intimidating the people so that they wouldn't think twice about pulling a move. Well it came time to serve. I eyed them up in their line-up and instantly knew which ones were going to be the trouble makers. As they started passing through the line my mind started shifting out of my virtual awesome reality into the reality of what was really happening around me. These people werent on some evil agenda to get me. They were there to eat,to be harm for a few moments, and to be loved. I started feeling and not just hearing their thank yous. I would adjust my "your welcome" to try and meet how they spoke to me. Sometimes it was the classic nod, sometimes it was all said in a smile, sometimes it had to be said soft and sincere, and sometime it had to be manly and assertive. I suppose this could be said to be prejudice but I dont think so. I think they saw someone who was in a small way adjusting to them, showing them that someone was noticing them and loving them individually. I enjoyed those moments so much and hope to have many more of the like.


"The Bible tells us to love our neighbors, and also to love our enemies; probably because they are generally the same people."
G. K. Chesterton

G.K. Chesterton has written some amazing books according to Ravi Zacharias. Read a few of his quotes and youll get a glimpse into the type of mind he has.

"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese."
G. K. Chesterton

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen J said...

I was beginning to wonder if you would ever write anything new on your blog:P Sounds like it was a rad experience to serve people, opens the eyes a bit eh? I did have to laugh about your M-21 Special forces knife, that knife just lights up your eyes. Thanks for the thoughts....maybe I'll write a poem about cheese.

7:09 PM, August 13, 2006

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chesterton... He's good. I'd highly recommend Orthodoxy. His Father Brown detective stories are really good too. I still have my computer loaded down with all the Ravi you downloaded. Still enjoying it too. Take care buddy. I'll be in Edmonton over Christmas, we should hook up.

12:58 PM, November 25, 2006

 

Post a Comment

<< Home